RMA holds elections annually to elect officers, fill open seats on the board, and to approve changes to the bylaws (if necessary). The number of open seats varies each year. Candidates elected to serve on the Board of Directors serve two-year terms.
RMA’s leadership comprises a 10-member Board of Directors made up of nine certified debt buyers and one certified collection agency or certified law firm. Individuals interested in running for a Director position must meet the following qualifications pursuant to the RMA Bylaws:
- Be an officer, director, or a majority owner of five percent (5%) or greater interest of a Certified Member in good standing.
- (Certified Debt Buying Companies only) Provide proof of a portfolio purchase made in the previous twelve (12) months
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of experience in the purchase, management, or collection of receivables
- Have attended RMA’s Annual Conference the year before
- Currently serving on an RMA committee, task force, or the RMA Certification Council or one of its committees
- No member company may have more than one individual serving on the Board of Directors
International, Associate, Originating Creditor, and Affiliate Members are not eligible to run for board seats but may serve on RMA committees.
Who Can Vote
Certified members who have renewed their membership and paid their association dues are eligible to vote during the annual election. In the case of a Family of Companies, only the Primary Company is a voting member. Membership renewal invoices are mailed out on October 1st each year. If your company needs assistance renewing, please contact Barbara Souza at email@example.com or call RMA at (916) 482-2462.
December 8, 2017 is the deadline for members interested in running for the 2018 Board to declare their candidacy. To submit your name for a Director position, please submit the following materials by mail, fax or email to Jan Stieger, Executive Director, 1050 Fulton Avenue, Suite 120, Sacramento, CA 95825, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of intent declaring your desire to be a candidate
- A professional photo
- A resume and/or bio
- A candidate statement of not more than 400 words which will be distributed to members with the official ballot
- A copy of a redacted bill of sale or a reference letter on a seller’s letterhead verifying that the member company has purchased a debt portfolio in the previous 12 months
January 2018: Ballots are sent to eligible voting members at the beginning of January, at which time voting begins. Eligible member organizations may cast:
- One vote to approve or not approve the 2018 slate of officers
- One vote to approve or not approve proposed changes to the bylaws
- One vote for each open Director position
Eligible voting members may vote either by submitting a completed ballot via email (email@example.com), fax (916-482-2760), or regular mail, or by casting it in person at RMA’s Annual Conference. A ballot box will be located in the registration lobby. Election results are announced and the new board installed on the final day of the conference.
If you have any questions, please contact Jan Stieger at (916) 482-2462 or by email.