- State Updates: Idaho, New York
- RMAI Legislative Fund – Check out the Auction Catalog and Bid Today!
- RMAI COVID-19 Resources
State Updates: Order Extended, Reopening Lookup Wizard
Idaho Extends Temporary Suspension of Licensing Requirement Regarding Working from Home
On August 12, 2020, the Idaho Department of Finance announced it will extend its temporary suspension of requirements to obtain a license for remote operations until December 31, 2020. The decision was made in response to the continued person-to-person spread of COVID-19 and the fact certain licensees may want the additional time to evaluate whether it is beneficial to their businesses and their consumers to continue utilizing remote operations as part of their business processes.
So, what does this mean? This is Idaho’s second extension of its Temporary Regulatory Guidance permitting individual employees of licensees to work from their own residence, without obtaining an Idaho branch license or registration for the location. As such, the Department reminds collection agency licensees:
- The suspension of the licensing requirement for remote locations is not a permanent extension.
- Working from remote locations due to the COVID-19 virus is a permitted activity not a required activity.
- The Department’s original order of March 12 and its suspension of licensing requirements for remote locations does not amend the Idaho Credit Code or the Idaho Collection Agency Act.
To review the original order, click here.
To review the order issued August 12, 2020, click here.
New York Establishes Reopening Lookup Wizard
Taking a novel approach toward the reopening of industries in New York, the state has implemented an online wizard. The wizard evaluates a number of factors about each region and the various industries located within each region, to permit reopening in phases. Essential and nonessential businesses will be able to use the wizard to determine whether and when they may reopen. Reopening refers to allowing non-essential businesses and business activities to resume in-person operations. Eligibility for reopening will be determined by health metrics for each region.
So, what does this mean? Essential businesses and business activities that are open, including collection agencies, may remain open statewide. New York State is also permitting certain commercial and recreational activities to reopen statewide with restrictions. Using the wizard, members will be able to:
- Determine their eligibility to reopen, including any special restrictions that may apply;
- Be directed to review industry-specific public health and safety guidelines, if applicable, and, where any guidelines exist, be directed to submit an affirmation form for having reviewed and understood such guidelines; and
- Be directed to complete a business safety plan to outline how their workplaces will prevent the spread of COVID-19, either by direct link from the wizard or, where industry-specific guidelines apply, as linked to after the affirmation form is submitted.
To access the Reopening Lookup Wizard, click here and use NAICS Code 561440 Collection Agencies.
Support the RMAI Legislative Fund with Our Virtual Silent Auction
The reach of RMAI’s advocacy efforts extends to COVID-19 related actions as well as state and federal regulatory and legislative activity. You can support the Legislative Fund by bidding on items in our virtual Silent Auction. The Auction Catalog includes gift cards and golf, cigars and spirits, barbecue and baseball, toys and art, overnight stays and tech and trending gadgets and gizmos. Bid today!
RMAI COVID-19 Resources
Visit the RMAI COVID-19 resource page on the RMAI website to access other legislative and regulatory guidance and relevant information, RMAI Member Alerts, COVID-19 recorded webinars, and more.
This alert is intended for members of the Receivables Management Association International and is for informational purposes only and is in no way intended to provide legal advice. Members are encouraged to consult with an attorney of their choice for legal advice concerning this matter.